About Me

My photo
I am a 34 year old father of 5 who has always thought about breaking into comics. Well now I am GOING to break into comics. I am primarily an inker but will pencil the occasional short story or pin-up. Creating comics and drumming are my true passions in life.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Greg Land

Greg Land has a the perfect marriage of grey scale pencil rendering and inker friendly line art that has become the standard in comic books today. So when approaching this page as an inker I needed to decide how far I wanted to goo in either direction and how to achieve the grey toning effects. I decided to go with a technique often used by one of my favorite inkers, Mike Perkins. He utilizes a few different colored pencils to achieve texture, blackness and how "greasy" the pencils is. Though I make claims of being as skilled as he when doing this. I ended up up using a Faber Castell Schwartz Black pencil. This pencil has a slight grease feel to it but does not smear to the touch and glides over the smooth Bristol that I use fairly well, resulting in what I think is some pretty cool smoke effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment