About Me

My photo
I am a 34 year old father of 5 who has always thought about breaking into comics. Well now I am GOING to break into comics. I am primarily an inker but will pencil the occasional short story or pin-up. Creating comics and drumming are my true passions in life.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

David Finch

I never really felt my inking style would mesh well with Finch pencils so I never thought to try it. Then I figured I should be able to ink any pencil style. I mean, any inker worth his salt should be able to right? Versatility! That is the key. So I went for it. I wanted to start out on a simpler piece just so I could find the groove of his pencils.

I approached this with a lighter, looser hand than I normaly would, trying to prevent the stiff, super controlled lines I usually throw. I used a thicker base line as well. I think it gave me more of a choppy feel and the thicker pen tip kept me from becoming too obsessed with details and was able to see "the big picture" throughout. I was finished in just over two hours. It flew by pretty fast.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with the way this came out. I now feel I can become compatible with Finch, or any other penciling style for that matter. It's just a matter of know the pencilers intent and and following the pencils to their logical ink conclusion.

2 comments: